I LOVE Valentines Day, not just for the romance, but because everything is red and covered in hearts! I wanted to make a sweet treat for my boyfriend and these cupcakes just seemed like the perfect thing to make for Valentines Day!
Ingredients: Makes 24
400g of Flour
2 tbs of Cocoa Powder
320g of caster Sugar
2 tsp of Baking Powder
1 tsp of Baking Soda
1 tsp of Salt
190ml of Vegetable Oil
250ml of Buttermilk (if you don’t have any- whisk 1 3/4 teaspoons cream of tartar to 1 cup of mik)
50ml Red Food Colouring
2 tsp of Vanilla Extract
1 Tablespoon vinegar
For the Buttercream:
280g Icing Sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 160C. In a large bowl, mix together your flour, salt, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk all of your wet ingredients together.
3. Slowly add your wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, folding gently untilyou are left with a smooth batter.
4. Fill your cupcake cases and bake for 30 minutes! You’ll know they are done when they spring back when you touch them.
5. Leave to cool completely. Meanwhile, make up your buttercream by whisking the butter, sugar and milk together. You can add vanilla extract at this point for a little extra flavour.
6. Ice buttercream onto the top of your cake, starting in the middle and swirling outwards.
That’s it! I hope you enjoyed this recipe!
2 thoughts on “Red Velvet Cupcakes”
Valentine’s day is still so many months away but I feel like I have to practice now. I have zero knowledge in baking but looking at recipes like this really inspire me to learn 🙂