I love Halloween, but I’m not the best at creating scary and fantastic makeup like a lot of girls out there. I also don’t happen to have any liquid latex and fake blood to hand in my makeup drawer. I knew I wanted to create a halloween makeup tutorial this year, and I wanted to make one that was cheap and easy to recreate. When I was refilling through my supplies I came across my beloved Wild and Alluring Palette by BH Cosmetics. If you’ve followed my blog for a while, you’ll know I absolutely LOVE this palette. I even did a Wild and Alluring Palette Review a while ago, trying out the colours and getting a feel for the palette.
I have to be honest, I don’t really wear blue eyeshadow in my everyday life, which is why when I saw this palette I just knew I had to make the most of it… and that’s where this Mermaid Inspired Look was born.
This is a great all-round easy halloween look for any skin tone, although I do think there is something a bit special about it on pale skin with red hair 😉
Anyway, Let’s get started…
- Firstly, we just need to create a plain base for the bright colours to layer on top of. For this you will just want to apply primer, foundation and concealer as you would normally.
2. Now we are going to take our eye palette and use this bright blue colour to fill in our brows.
3. We’ll then take that same colour and begin to blend it into our eye socket. I am also bringing the colour below the eye and up the side of the face.
4. Now we will take that bottom right blue and work it into the crease to add definition.
5. At this point I just thought ‘Sod it’ and used a contour brush to take that bright blue all over the cheek area, because why not?
6. I’m bringing that blue down my neck lightly and also taking that darker blue again to fill in my other eye.
7. Once you look suitably like a smurf, it’s time for the lips. I am starting by concealing my lips with the Maybelline Dark Circle Eraser in the colour Fair. I am then taking the blue and drawing an X on my cupids bow to help guide where I fill in my lips. I am filling the inner third with blue, and then the outer 2/3 with the darker shade, and then blending.
8. I am now taking a place of netting, which I’m sure most people will have lying around the house. If not, you’ll be able to pick some up at your local craft shop. This is going to be used to create ‘scales’.
9. Taking this Purple- Orange shade, I am pressing the netting onto random parts of my face and brushing the colour over.
10. For the lips I am using this purple shade and doing the same.
11. You can also add patches of scales around your neck and shoulders too. To finish I have taken These Starfish and stuck them onto my face using eyelash glue. Put on a blue or green top and you’re done!
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and I would love to know what you plan on dressing as this Halloween!
3 thoughts on “Mermaid Makeup”
This is such a cool look!
Thanks so much!