I am by no means a huge sweet tooth, which is why you’ll notice most of my recipes are savoury, however I do love to bake, especially at this time of year.
Gingerbread is my favourite type of biscuit. I’m actually not a massive fan of biscuits or cookies generally, purely because they are just that little bit too sweet for me. However ginger biscuits have that little kick of spice which I just can’t get enough of. So, of course had to bake a batch for the festive season!
I actually didn’t have any egg in the house when I decided to make these biscuits, so I had to improvise. Just for reference in the future:
2 Tablespoons Golden Syrup + 1/2 tsp Baking Powder = 1 Egg
Honestly, this has been a lifesaver for me when I decide to get baking, because I’m useless at remembering to buy in eggs. I wouldn’t recommend using this substitute for cakes, but for biscuits it works great!
I can’t believe it’s only 2 weeks until Christmas, it’s so crazy! I have so many posts planned for you guys and I don’t even know if I will get them ready on time, but I’m going to try! I will also be introducing a little surprise on Christmas Day, so stay tuned for that.
Anyway, let’s get baking!
We’re going to start off by adding all dry ingredients into a mixing bowl, adding in our butter and mixing until we form a fine breadcrumb mix.
I’m then adding in my sugar, egg substitute and using my hands to form a dough. (It’s very messy and VERY sticky)
Then on a floured surface, roll out the dough and cut out the shapes. This is my favourite part of the process because you can really start to smell the ginger in the dough.
Bake for 10-12 minutes, let cool and decorate if you want!
Makes 12-14 Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- 175g Plain Flour
- 62g Butter (softened)
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 88g soft dark brown sugar
- 1 egg (or substitute)
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- Preheat oven to 180C and line 2 baking trays with grease proof paper. Take all of the dry ingredients apart from sugar, and place them in a large mixing bowl.
- Measure out butter and pop it in the microwave for 5-10 seconds to soften. Add into the bowl and mix with your fingers to create a breadcrumb mixture. It’s messy but it is worth using your fingers for this part.
- Add in the sugar and egg, and mix until a dough is formed. Place onto a floured surface, sprinkle some flour on top and roll out. You want the thickness to be approximately half a centimetre.
- Cut out your gingerbread men and place on a baking sheet. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. If you have multiple trays in the oven, swap them halfway through to ensure both cook evenly.
- Leave to cool on the baking trays for 5 minutes and then carefully lift off with a fish slice. Decorate with whatever you like or just leave them plain if you prefer!
One thought on “Gingerbread Men”