I don’t know if you remember my 6 Months To Get Fit post back in January, but I did promise to share this recipe with you back then. But as always, life got in the way and I totally forgot about doing it. So, I’m making it up to you now- and I promise that it was worth the wait!
There aren’t hundreds of ingredients to this recipe, which makes it a lot easier to make than some of the versions I’ve seen in the past. This is a spicy, flavourful and delicious dish- I hope you enjoy!
Simple Jerk Chicken
Serves: 4 Prep Time: overnight
Jerk Marinade inspired by James Martin’s recipe
For the Chicken:
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 100g red onions
- 1-1½ scotch bonnet, deseeded (depending how brave you are)
- 30g root ginger, peeled
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- small bunch fresh thyme, or dry if you have none
- 70ml white wine vinegar
- 70ml dark soy sauce
For the Rice:
- 300g Basmati Rice
- 400ml Coconut Milk
- 1 Tin Kidney Beans
- 3 tsp thyme (or one sprig)
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tbsp lime juice (or juice of half a lime)
- Coriander to garnish
- Add all marinade ingredients into a blender and blitz until totally smooth. Pour over chicken and marinade for at least 1 hour, ideally overnight.
- Bake chicken at 190C for 25-30 minutes, turning halfway through. You can turn up the temperature in the last 5 minutes or so to blacken the chicken a little.
- When you have 10 minutes left on the chicken, add all rice ingredients into a saucepan, bring to the boil and then simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- To serve, place chicken on top of the rice and garnish with coriander. Enjoy!