It feels good to be back in the full swing of things. I’ve been on holiday for a week so you will have seen some of my photos from there, but now I’m back- I’m in full Autumn mode. I’ve been wanting to bake an apple crumble for AGES, but I never find the right time to do it.
Sam and I are eating healthy this week, and I bought myself a pack of apples to snack on during the week. It came to me last night, why not try and make some porridge with them? I’ve never had an apple in porridge before today, but I have to say I’ll be doing it a lot more often now!
So, behold my total experimental recipe… APPLE CRUMBLE PORRIDGE!
I can’t decide whether this is a breakfast or a dessert, but either way, it tastes AMAZING! It’s the perfect warming start to an autumn day.
Apple Crumble Porridge
For The Porridge:
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- 1 apple (any you like)
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
For The Crumble:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2-3 tbsp oats (depends how dry your mixture is)
- 1 apple
- In a pan, add 1 apple, lemon juice, and sugar. Heat until bubbling and the apple has started to soften. Add the oats, water, milk, and spices and simmer.
- Meanwhile breadcrumb your oats and butter until a crumbly consistency, add some raisins and grill on high for 5-6 minutes on a baking tray.
- To serve, pour the porridge into a bowl, add another apple and sprinkle the crumble on top. Drizzle with honey and enjoy!