I don’t know about you, but for me it’s been super hard to find any bread flour in the supermarkets recently. I love making my own bread, and I thought this lockdown period was the perfect chance to play around and make some amazing bread.
Eventually I found some bread flour, so today I wanted to share with you my simple classic crusty bread roll recipe!
500g strong white bread flour
1 sachet dry yeast (7g)
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
325ml lukewarm water
1. Start off by measuring out your water. Once measured add the sugar, oil, and yeast. Leave for 5 minutes until it looks foamy like this:
2. Measure your flour and salt into a bowl. Make a well and use the end of a knife to stir while pouring in the yeast mixture SLOWLY.
3. Once the dough comes together, turn out onto a floured work surface, and set yourself a timer for 10 minutes, you could also do what I do and put a 10 minute long YouTube video on to pass the time!
4. Knead the dough for 10 minutes. You will know when the dough is ready because if you stretch it out you will see a thin sheet, showing that the gluten has developed. Once kneaded, place in an oiled bowl with cling film on top and leave to prove for 2 hours or until doubled in size.
5. Once doubled in size, punch the dough down once to release the air and then turn out onto your surface again. Split into 8 pieces. At this point you can either place the dough on a baking tray ready for baking, or freeze the dough.
6. Leave the shaped dough on a baking sheet for 10-15 minutes to rise, and then bake at 220C for 15 minutes. You can check that the bread is baked by tapping the bottom, and it should sound hollow.
6. Serve alongside your favourite meal with some butter for a wonderful carb filled treat!